This is the true breakfast of champions. What better way to start your day with a healthy dose of eggs and inflammation fighting spices? This is a staple dish in our home, we often enjoy making this for breakfast after our Saturday morning hikes. We hope you enjoy this South Asian take on an American classic.
Serving size: 2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes
1/2 onion: diced
2 Thai chilies; minced
1/2 tomato: diced
1/4 cup cilantro; chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic; minced
3-4 curry leaves; whole
1/2 tbs Ghee
1/4 tsp mustard seed
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp Fijian masala
1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
1. Prepare onion, Thai chilies, tomato, cilantro, and garlic; place on the side
2. Beat 4 eggs in a bowl; put to the side
3. Heat a medium-large sauté pan (or cast iron) on medium heat
4. Put ghee, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, Thai chilies, and curry leaf into pan; cook for 5-6 minutes or until ingredients have browned
5. Add red chili powder, turmeric, Fijian masala, onion, tomato, and garlic into the pan; mix well and cook for another 5 minutes or until onions are translucent
6. Add beaten eggs into the pan; mix well with ingredients currently in the pan; 2-3 minutes
7. Remove from heat and add cilantro and salt to taste.
These eggs are typically accompanied by roti and chai (recipes coming soon!). Cheers!